A blog on ship spotting and opinions of maritime interest from Nova Scotia's French Shore and beyond
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Marine Atlantic: new versus old
My apologies for all the comments on the ferries, however, that's how I feel about the transport services around Eastern Canada. The most criticized happens to be Marine Atlantic as it's constitutionally obligated to provide a ferry service to Newfoundland. My opinion on this, all this negative talk effects the employees and management in a very negative way. They're constantly trying to improve the level of service and customer experience and have been through enough criticism already. I have no ill- feelings towards the old fleet as they were reliable for a long time and I feel like most people who liked the MV William Carson when she was retired from the Gulf run. However, if Marine Atlantic wants to modernize the ferry service, I have no problems with that. The ships might look ugly, but, they're more modern than the outgoing ferries and I can't wait to see new purpose-built ferries for the run in the future. I'm still hoping these Seabridger class ships are just temporary replacements for a new, modern and efficient Gulfspan class ferry to be built in the next 5-10 years. Now, if only the Federal Government can commit to the other East Coast ferries in the long term, everything would be fine.
Here's some links on forum-schiff on the conversions of the newer ferries servicing Nova Scotia and Newfoundland
http://www.forum-schiff.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3054 (Stena Traveller)
http://www.forum-schiff.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2781 (Stena Trader)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment