Saturday, June 25, 2011

Reflections as a passenger: MV Joseph and Clara Smallwood

                                     July 16, 2010, my final trip on the Smallwood

The morning of July 16, 2010 was a bittersweet day for me as it was my last trip on one of Canada's largest ferries.  It started at 5:30 A.M. when I woke up, got dressed and walked from the North Star Inn to the ferry terminal.  I got checked in as in the summer time, you should arrive an hour and a half before departure (departure was at 8:30).  After checking in and cleared by security to advance in the secure area, I went for breakfast while waiting to board.  Once boarded, I went for a stroll on the decks looking for the perfect spot to watch the departure.  Just before departure, the MV Caribou came back from Port aux Basques a bit early to remove a troubled passenger at the alternate (old Carter) dock.

Once underway, there was lots to do on board like take pictures, do a little sighting on deck, take in a movie in the Shea lounge or listen to live entertainment in the Placentia lounge (I was bummed out that the One Man Newfoundland Band wasn't on board!!, oh well, next trip hopefully!!)







At around 11:00 (11:30 Newfoundland time), the cafeteria closed for half an hour to prepare for lunch, just enough time to stay on deck a little bit longer and relax.  The Robins coffee served in the Snack Bar was atrocious to say the least that I almost didn't finish it all.  I had a fish & chip for lunch and it was just like i remembered it on my last trip on her back in 1998.










Arriving in Port aux Basques, it was a little bit cooler than when we left North Sydney, so, I got out the windbreaker for the rest of the trip and got off through the gangway and onto the shuttle bus to head to the terminal to get my return ticket.


Heading back, we passed the commercial ferry MV Leif Ericson en route and got to talking with a couple of people on the way back.  I once again had a fish & chip for supper and enjoyed a late night snack an hour prior to docking in North Sydney: baked cod (cod covered in stuffing) with a side of french fries.  We arrived a little bit late due to a mechanical problem and I felt as if the ship didn't want me to leave.  But, as with all the things in life, all good things must come to an end.  A day cruise on Marine Atlantic in 2010 was $42.00 with an $8.27 fuel surcharge (grand total of $50.27).  Not too bad for 12 hours of relaxation.

Interior shots






It was a wonderful journey on board and I'm planning a trip on her replacement (MV Highlanders) this summer as well as a trip on the MV Atlantic Vision.  My MV Atlantic Vision review

No comments:

Post a Comment