Monday, April 4, 2011

Farewell Lady Vanessa: 1964-2011

                              Scrapping of the Lady Vanessa yesterday

 While awaiting the arrival of the Princess of Acadia yesterday afternoon,  I saw the Lady Vanessa was being dismantled at her pier on the boardwalk.  Built in 1964 in Meteghan (Comeau Marine) for Comeau Seafoods, she was used as a scallop dragger until being replaced by a steel dragger in the early 1980's.  She was then brought to where she sat for almost 30 years.
                             I guess you can call this the casket (or urn)

The Lady Vanessa was transformed from a working scallop dragger to a fisheries exhibit and was a popular figure on Digby's boardwalk.  The last time I went inside her was before 2000, so, I can't really say how much she deteriorated over the years.






What was once a popular attraction on Digby's waterfront has become an eye sore in recent years and it was time for her to be dismantled.  As the saying goes, as one door closes, another one opens, so, we'll see what happens to Digby's waterfront in the future.  What will eventually happen to this site is still up in the air.


                                    The Lady Vanessa in better days

No comments:

Post a Comment