A blog on ship spotting and opinions of maritime interest from Nova Scotia's French Shore and beyond
Sunday, February 10, 2013
Q&A: Princess in Charleston
I'm sure there are a few questions why the Princess of Acadia sailed to Charleston, South Carolina and not to Halifax as what happened for a lot of years (until this year). Answer, this is my perspective on all comments by the way, Marine Atlantic also had an emergency repair to MV Highlanders stern docking stabilizer and shortly after their commercial ferry MV Leif Ericson headed for drydock (Halifax has been down to 1 drydock since 2010 and I'm not sure if the graving dock was available or if the Princess can be accomodated there). With an emergency repair to her bow thruster, the service interruption was earlier than planned and the refit and inspection was carried out as well. I still believe if the Bow thruster was still operational, she would have been on Novadock after Leif Ericson, now, it appears it could be an opening for the MV Holiday Island getting it's turn there. Whether or not it happens, time will tell.
Another question, why Charleston and not another yard closer like Boston Answer, I believe Bay Ferries saying it would be Detyens Shipyard taking them the soonest, however, I have seen pictures of the T&T fast CAT ferries (last one to call the yard was our old CAT ferry from 1998 until 2001: Incat 046), both managed by Bay Ferries, so, they perhaps knew that this yard could be quite capable to meet their standards and knew the quality of the work the yard can do for them.
Link
Detyens Shipyards Facebook group (where I found photos of Incat 046 in one of their drydocks)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment