A blog on ship spotting and opinions of maritime interest from Nova Scotia's French Shore and beyond
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Opinion: Latest Marine Atlantic cancellations
First of all, I want to start off that I don't want to be too critical and have the right to an opinion and I do have a lot of respect for the employees at Marine Atlantic for all that they do to make the experience as enjoyable as possible! Where to start: Do I think the Caribou and Joseph and Clara Smallwood were built far superior to their replacements? I would say a resounding yes as they were built specifically for the gulf service and were stopped less frequently than their replacements this winter. Since this winter started, there has been more cancellations than previous years from a few reports, and, since 2009, the holiday travel season has been pretty well scrubbed off. Do I think the ships are to blame? That can be debated, but I'm still undecided and waiting another winter or two as when the Atlantic Vision started, there was less confidence in her than now. Speaking of the Vision, why is she laid up in the winter time? Perhaps it's her low fuel mileage and could quite possibly be used when heavy ice comes to the Cabot Strait (my two cents anyway) When Blue Puttees and Highlanders were chartered in 2010, I drew the conclusion that there would be a bit more weather related cancellations with them than the outgoing ships (as well as passenger comfort and safety reasons) and I'm still hoping they are temporary solutions for the capacity issues of the past. Still, these new editions to the fleet are great for the capacity they can carry and customer service has vastly improved for my taste. It is my profound belief that Marine Atlantic is always a "work in progress" and will be as long as they provide the imperatively essential service connecting Newfoundland to the mainland. My only concern is with the travelers and especially the commercial drivers who take the service frequently would be on their way to their desired destination in a timely manner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment