Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Maritime Experience

              Fishing fleet in Liverpool, Nova Scotia, July 28, 2012

As Bay Ferries new slogan is "Get the full Maritime Experience", I thought I'd make my own this summer.  My adventure started on July 28 in the town of Liverpool, where I  then stayed overnight after walking around town looking at some scenery before heading to Lunenburg in the morning. Listening to some Stan Rogers on my way to town on the morning of the 29th, it was a pretty cool feeling to see the Fisheries Museum and Bluenose II rebuild site as well as buying a few Bluenose related items, here's a few snapshots from Lunenburg.




After Lunenburg, I kept on truckin' to Truro for the night so I can catch the ferry from Caribou to wood Islands in the AM

When I got to the Terminal in Caribou, MV Confederation was loading up to head for Wood Islands.  If it wasn't for the car in front of me, I could have been on her, but I had to wait for MV Holiday Island to take me across instead (I was one of the first vehicles to board her).


So here I was on MV Holiday Island, got up to Rollo Bay and surrounding areas, done a little touring on the scenic routes and headed back to Nova Scotia the next day on MV Confederation and headed for the Canso Causeway where I relaxed and headed to North Sydney the next day.
        Leaving PEI behind on MV Confederation

                          Canso Causeway

After arriving in North Sydney, I stayed around the area for a few days and took two day cruises to Newfoundland on the new additions to the Marine Atlantic fleet and had the most positive experience with them to date.  I also got to see the anchor of the former CN Marine ferry MV William Carson on the Purves Street Lookoff.


 In Closing, I would like to thank all the places I visited above, the hotels/motels I've stayed in, and a very honorable mention to Northumberland Ferries Limited and Marine Atlantic Inc. for making this trip one of the most memorable and enjoyable to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment