Well my friends, I wish I had some better news than what I'm about to say about the MV Caribou and where she would work. well, here it goes: She's now under the name Caribo since this past weekend and now sporting a ripped Indian flag. This could only mean one thing: Destination-Alang to meet the same fate as MV Abegweit in 2004. If you don't know what happened to her, see the pic below I found on the web.
YIKES!!! that's gotta hurt for Canadian shipbuilding eh?? Why would the Carter, Shea, and Gray have a long shelf life (Nautica, Atlantica and Nordica are still running today) while the Caribou (and most likely the Smallwood as well) have it's life shortened like MV Abegweit, only 22 years old at the time of her scrapping?? Does anyone from top Marine Atlantic brass (like the top Navy brass) have any idea what ICAP Shipping was doing to our national pride in recent weeks?? I'm outraged with the outcome and as mad as a stranded trucker waiting for a ferry. Why weren't they acquired for our (sou west Nova) ferry routes?? Or have the Caribou as a floating transportation museum and the Smallwood continuing to run at Marine Atlantic as the "workhorse" of the fleet going through storms and getting people on their way as exhibited last winter. Why weren't these ferries on a mid-life overhaul this year and 2012 with a newer Gulfspan boat on the way?? These are questions that we won't have an answer to. We should at least save one of them from the "ship recycler" in India much like America is trying to do with the SS United States instead of another Finnjet. (Anyone want to start a petition before I do?? )
Bay Ferry man's note: The opinions expressed in the last two blogs are my own and does not reflect anyone elses.
According to a friend in Gibraltar, Caribou did indeed pass through on her way to Alang for scrap. Makes no sense to me either.....
ReplyDelete