Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Rant: Canadian-built purpose built ferries badly needed

  I'm dedicating this blog to the MV Caribou (now re-named MV Caribo) 1984-2011/12

Well, where to start off, With the Canadian Navy and Coast Guard having new ships built, why are the Transport Canada owned (as well as Marine Atlantic) ferries left out.  Now with the Caribou (and maybe it's sister ship as well) having one final destination: Alang (which I still fail to understand myself and another rant for another day), it's imperative that the Federal Government invests in new ferries here on the East Coast.  The only purpose built ferry running now is the MV Princess of Acadia between Digby and Saint John and I'm fortunate to say that sou'west Nova still has the last remaining purpose built ferry.  One downside it has is it's age (40) and over time, the refits would be too onerous for Bay Ferries to continue operating the vessel.  It's certified until 2015 by the underwriters, beyond that remains to be seen.  However, she has a lot on the plus side: reliable and in good shape for a ship her age.  Now, on to the Newfoundland ferries,  Why would the knobs in Ottawa invest in two freighters to be converted into passenger ferries anyway??  Oh well, that's politics.  I'm still thinking the Blue Puttees and Highlanders would be tied up during a storm, delaying traffic and annoying truckers (not good).  Hopefully, it's only a "temporary bridge" until the Davie yard gets a contract to build 2-3 new Gulfspan 2.0 vessels.


In the end, I want shipbuilding jobs in Canada, not just for the Navy and Coast Guard, but also for the ferries   which are badly needed here on the East Coast.  If Davie can secure bids for new East Coast ferries in the future, we'd be in business.


No comments:

Post a Comment