Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Rejected (UPDATED)

We will not be seeing the Nova Star (Norman Leader) coming up Yarmouth Harbour this year.  The Nova Scotia Government has rejected not just Maritime Applied Physics Corp's proposal, but Quest Navigation's as well.  I do understand the reasons behind it, however, this RFP should have been done sooner than that.  I knew before today's announcement that there should be celebration with a little caution when it came time for funding, it may take years to get a competent operator who can promote the service and stay commercially viable.

On the bright side, the Digby-Saint John service would not be negatively impacted by this rejection (I'm still feeling a ferry out of Yarmouth could potentially scuttle the service).  Now, it's time for the Federal Government to do more than just a bargaining chip for that service and put in some long-term strategy.  Although, I believe we might just see another short-term strategy as has been the case for the past 7 years now as it seems as though they're taking their time for a new funding announcement and no news on a replacement ferry so far.

UPDATE 03/10/13:  Quest Navigation will debrief with the Province of Nova Scotia and see what they want the service to be and other things about the service.  They might still have a shot to run it and they might not, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment