A blog on ship spotting and opinions of maritime interest from Nova Scotia's French Shore and beyond
Friday, September 7, 2012
Thoughts on the Yarmouth-New England ferry report/funding (updated)
Finally, a glimmer of hope? I really hope so. A new report released today outlines a cruise ferry operation would be more viable for the region (as I expected it to be). There is currently 20 or so vessels around the globe matching the criteria now. I am pleased with the Provincial Government finally being on board and hopefully a new ferry will be around in the immediate future. Although I would like to see it happen sooner, I think a spring 2014 re-launch would be a realistic time to start in order to purchase or charter a ship, marketing campaigns, etc.. I also think the timing was a bit off. This should have started when (or even with) THE CAT ferry still operating, this way, all these negative spinoffs around Yarmouth and quite possibly the entire province could have been averted. The terminal in Yarmouth does need a lot of sprucing up before the service resumes as well. Could there be new fencing and lighting (project that was slated in winter 2009 for the 2010 operating season) and other work on the property? Hopefully we will found out in the near future. For now, I am very pleased with the report and funding announcement today and looking forward to which ship and company would operate this run.
Update 9/21/12: With this great announcement, I'm also concerned with what the future holds for the Digby-Saint John ferry service operated by Bay Ferries Limited. Would commercial drivers shipping products to New England prefer taking the newer ferry out of Yarmouth? We'll have to see what happens, stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment