A blog on ship spotting and opinions of maritime interest from Nova Scotia's French Shore and beyond
Sunday, July 20, 2014
Opinion: Ferry funding
So, this past Wednesday in Saint John, we had an announcement about $58 million being spent on our east coast ferry fleet. (N.S-N.B, N.S-P.E and P.E-Magdalen Islands) I did welcome this announcement in February when this was originally announced during budget 2014. I honestly thought (as with a few others) that the announcement in Saint John was also about the purchase of a replacement ferry for the Saint John-Digby route, only to be somewhat disappointed but not surprised. The transport minister did say that they are on track for a 2015 replacement but how true is this? I am cautiously optimistic of a newer vessel coming next year but looking for a more concrete answer from the Federal Government. I'm thinking this will drag on for more than a year. The route plays a vital role in the economy for south western Nova Scotia as well as southern New Brunswick and upper Canadian markets and how long will passengers and freight be aboard if the current ferry, Princess of Acadia, built in 1971, starts to have frequent mechanical problems and fall into reliability issues? Currently, although not making the news, the vessel does have issues with her bow thruster this summer season (I noticed this during my trips this month aboard the ferry) however still being able to dock at each terminal unassisted depending on wind, tide and currents. At the end of the day a suitable replacement would not only mean a long term solution but would also allow the service to have safe and reliable operation in the future.
Links
Youtube video of Princess of Acadia docking with no bow thruster or tug (my apologies for the Acadian French in the video as I do hail from the French shore, it is what it is!) I am very impressed with how the vessel manoeuvres without the use of her bow thruster.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment