Monday, June 24, 2013

Ready for retirement

All I can say is the word Finally!!!  it has been announced today that the MV Princess of Acadia will be retired.  When, can be up to speculation, but it's clear that a used (not new), suitable replacement will in fact be found in the near future.  This is welcome news for me to hear since the ferry isn't getting any younger with age.  Don't get me wrong, I will always have a heart for this vessel, but, in the end, vessels do age and at some point need replacing.  The ship can still deliver her cargo of people and goods across on time and very rarely late, however, she's beginning to show her age and is less environmentally friendly than a newer ferry in similar size.  The only problem I see is if no suitable replacement is found, then what? $60 million in renovations or pony up $40 million more to build a new purpose-built ferry in a foreign yard as we here in Canada do not have the shipyards capable enough to build a new ro-pax ferry at the moment. What about the Princess of Acadia you might ask, as much as I would like to see her as a floating museum on the Saint John waterfront or at the old shipyard where she was built, most likely scenario she will go to a ship breaking yard for scrap, hopefully Port Colburn, Ontario and not to Alang, India like most of our old ferries  after their  lives in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment