A blog on ship spotting and opinions of maritime interest from Nova Scotia's French Shore and beyond
Saturday, January 19, 2013
Rant: Time for a replacement
As the MV Princess of Acadia now sits in a Charleston, South Carolina drydock undergoing refit, it's time to ponder a question that's been on my mind for a long time: Is it time to replace the Digby-Saint John ferry? Although this ship would be responsible for my passion for ships for almost 19 years now, I would say it's past time the Canadian Government as well as the Provincial governments of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick secure a long term solution which includes vessel (asset) renewal in the near future. The terminal in Digby is having some upgrades done which includes new fencing to the rear of the property as well as new pavement in some spots. I don't know what the status is on the Saint John end, however, I'm assuming there's stuff going on there as well. One key issue other than the age of the vessel is her operating and increasing maintenance costs in the long run. As the vessel ages, the cost of maintaining her would increase, thus, increasing fares for passengers, making the ship even less profitable. I would continue using the ship as long as I can afford it (for a trip with a vehicle), but if the price keeps rising due to higher maintenance costs, I would explore the options of the Rawdon Hills or Cobequid Pass for my journey to New Brunswick and only walk on the ferry for day trips, or spend time in Saint John. I am quite honestly surprised that this ferry is still in service to this day. Through a reliable source who knows our east coast ferry fleet well, the Princess of Acadia's design life was 30 years. Being built in 1971, she has outlived her initial lifespan by 12 years and is the longest running ship on the Bay of Fundy run at now 42 years. (second would be the SS Princess Helene, which served this same route for 33 years). This being said however, I have had no safety concerns on my trips across and I do feel she is still a safe and well kept vessel, and Bay Ferries does deliver a safe and reliable service. Let's hope it continues that way in the future, with a chartered or a new boat in the foreseeable future.
The opinions expressed do not represent anyone elses, if so, as always, pure coincidence
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment