Sunday, March 27, 2011

Marine Atlantic teething problems


The MV Blue Puttees made headlines last week after a stabilizer fin retracted during a rough early morning crossing to Newfoundland.  Now, I'm saying the vessel is experiencing teething problems (all part of a break in period) and I expect the MV Highlanders will have some as well when she enters service. All vessels experience some sort of teething problems during the initial year of operation as part of their break-in process, so, expect mechanical problems, hitting docks hard and other problems that should arise during the the inaugural year of any ship.  Case in point the MV Atlantic Vision had two problems with the thermal heating unit, hit the dock  twice and struck bottom in Port aux Basques Harbour and lost power in her first year of operation.  The second MV Abegweit had it's share of teething problems when she entered service 29 years ago and it was well liked for many years after her break in phase.  I'm still reserving judgement on the two newer Marine Atlantic ferries until I experience them sometime in the immediate future (hopefully this summer).  After saying the Blue Puttees was holding her own a few short weeks ago, I'm beginning to wonder if I now spoke too soon and maybe even jinxed her, making the Atlantic Vision the most reliable ferry in the new fleet. (even with her high topsides, she's less top heavy, more stable and has the highest ice class in the fleet)  Here's an article on this as I truely believe in this one http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/Local/2011-03-24/article-2360580/Blue-Puttees-incident-part-of-break-in-phase%3A-expert/1

 I agree with Claude Daley's thoughts on this.  However, there's nothing like Canadian made purpose-built ferries for the nautical section of the Trans-Canada Highway.  That's what's really needed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment